Open General Export License (OGEL)

To take an ex-Military Vehicle to mainland Europe it is a legal requirement for the vehicle owner to be in possession of an Open General Export Licence (OGEL), specifically the one for: ‘Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery’, unless all the following criteria are fulfilled:

  •  the vehicle was manufactured more than 50 years before the date of exportation
  • the exportation is to a destination in Belgium, France or Germany
  • the exportation is for the purpose of a military re-enactment, commemorative event or recreational activity, and
  • the vehicle is to be returned to the United Kingdom within 3 months of the date of exportation

If your vehicle does not fulfil all the above, then you must have an OGEL to take your vehicle to the Continent.

The following explains what the OGEL is all about, and what you need to do:

Anyone wishing to take a military vehicle out of the UK you must obtain an Open General Export Licence (OGEL) from the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), who are responsible for all export licensing.  There is a specific OGEL for Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery.  An OGEL is in fact a Licence for you to export historic military vehicles.  It is not vehicle related.  In effect you are registering yourself as a Historic MV exporter.  Once obtained it has a permanent validity, and does not need to be renewed.  There is no charge for the OGEL, but application can only be done via the BIS website.  There is no option for a paper application.

You should familiarize yourself with the details of this OGEL by checking the link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-general-export-licence-historic-military-vehicles-and-artillery-pieces–2

To apply for an OGEL you have to make a submission through the BIS website.  There is no fee.

To obtain the OGEL you first have to register with the Export Control Organisation, part of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).   Once you are registered you can then make the application for the OGEL.

The following link explains how to register and then how to apply for your OGEL:  https://www.spire.bis.gov.uk/docs/RegisterOGLs.pdf .

Again, the OGEL you require is:  ‘Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery’.

Once you have the OGEL, then you can take out any Military Vehicle owned by/registered to you, provided you bring it back to the UK within 3 months.  You must also keep records and evidence of taking vehicles out and returning them (such as copies of tickets, or paperwork relating to the trips).  Legally inspectors from the BIS have the authority to come and check on the paperwork.

If you find you have difficulties in registering and/or making the application, then IMPS can do it for you.  There is a charge for doing this of £15 for IMPS members (£25 for non-members), cheque’s being payable to IMPS Ltd (credit card payment can also be made).

If you require further information about the OGEL, or wish IMPS to make the necessary submission on your behalf, please contact the President