Invicta Military-Vehicle Preservation Society


Export Licenses for Historic Military Vehicles


The export of military vehicles from the UK is covered by the following legislation: and   

To Summarise:

There is no requirement to have an export licence take a military vehicle built before 1946 out of the UK, either for permanent export, or for subsequent return: 

For military vehicles built after 1946 the following legal requirements apply:

To take an ex-Military Vehicle to mainland Europe, with the intention of returning with it to the UK, it is a legal requirement for the vehicle owner to be in possession of an Open General Export Licence (OGEL), specifically the one for: ‘Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery’, provided all the following criteria are fulfilled:

the vehicle was manufactured more than 50 years before the date of exportation, or the vehicle was manufactured less than 50 years before the date of export that has been registered with DVLA as “private” or “historic”. 

  • the exportation is to a destination other than in Belgium, France or Germany (no OGEL is required for these countries)
  • the exportation is for the purpose of a military re-enactment, commemorative event or recreational activity, and
  • the vehicle is to be returned to the United Kingdom within 3 months of the date of exportation

If the vehicle does not fulfil all the above, then the exporter must have a full Standard General Export Licence.


For anyone wishing to obtain an OGEL the following explains what the OGEL is all about, and what you need to do:

An OGEL is in fact a Licence for you to export historic military vehicles in accordance with the above criteria.  It is not vehicle related.  In effect you are registering yourself as a Historic MV exporter.  Once obtained it has a permanent validity and does not need to be renewed.  There is no charge for the OGEL, but application can only be done via the Department for International Trade (DIT) website.  There is no option for a paper application.

You should familiarize yourself with the details of this OGEL by checking the link: 

To apply for an OGEL you have to make a submission through the DIT website.  There is no fee.

To obtain the OGEL you first have to register with the Export Control Organisation, part of the Department for International Trade (DIT).   Once you are registered you can then make the application for the OGEL.

The following link explains how to register and then how to apply for your OGEL:–3

Again, the OGEL you require is: ‘Historic Military Vehicles and Artillery’.

Once you have the OGEL, then you can take out any Military Vehicle owned by/registered to you, provided you bring it back to the UK within 3 months.  You must also keep records and evidence of taking vehicles out and returning them (such as copies of tickets, or paperwork relating to the trips).  Legally inspectors from the DIT have the authority to come and check on the paperwork.

If you find you have difficulties in registering and/or making the application for an export licence (either OGEL or Standard Export Licence), then IMPS can do it for you.  There is a charge for doing this:

OGEL:  £20 for IMPS members or £30 for non-members.

Standard Export Licence:  PoA.

Cheque’s payable to IMPS Ltd (credit card payment can also be made).

If you require further information about the OGEL, or wish IMPS to make the necessary submission on your behalf, please contact the IMPS President (

Contact IMPS

Contact Gareth

Contact Tony